Friday, July 23, 2004

BLOGs - is interaction everything?

Some of us were talking about what e-learning potential do BLOG pages have and one response was:
"I go to your BLOG, see your entries and see what makes you tick -- which can be quite similar to what makes me enthuse -- I learn from your entries because I have the motivation / curiosity to read it ... but if I don't tell you what do you learn? (Are we back to square one? ... talking is not listening ... you may talk/write, I can read but we need interaction ... I need to talk back to you, you need me to talk back to you ... "

According to the theory there does need to be some form of conversational framework, some form of feedback loop, some form of active reflection, for 'learning' to take place … if I BLOG something and no-one reads it or responds to it does anyone learn? (A bit like the 'If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?" … see: http://personal.clt.bellsouth.net/t/a/tarabyl/ifa.htm or http://www.getodd.com/stuf/treefall.html … it's amazing what sort of answers there are to such clever/simple question!). And my response would be 'yes' I learn from the process of BLOGging a link to something - even if it's a personal, private diary BLOG there is still potential for learning. Mind you - it could be a bit solitary! A 'conversation' between one person and a resource within a framework … the 'disciplined nature' of the reflection will be important.

If this process of learning encompasses interaction with others then some collaborative learning might be possible - and more than one person might benefit. But a simple comment feedback is unlikely to engender much - there needs to be more.

Simon


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home